Wednesday, April 16, 2008

µTorrent - A Very Useful Freeware

µTorrent is a BitTorrent client. There are many on the market today, and most of them are free to use. What makes uTorrent special is the small amount of memory and CPU time that the application uses. For me that was the main problem while choosing a BitTorrent client to suit my needs. I'm running several applications simultaneously on my computer, and I want to leave my torrents running while I do my work. uTorrent allowed me to do just that.

The program also provides various statistics and options for your torrents (local peer dicovery - very useful to get high speeds while connecting to peers in your geographic area, set maximum upload and download speed for each running torrent, upload and download speed charts for every torrent). I've been using uTorrent for about three years now, after trying BitComet and Azureus. I chose uTorrent for the reasons explained above.

The software has reached version 1.77 stable. In those three years uTorrent has crashed about 3 or 4 times, so it was highly reliable for me. Download from here.